Friday, March 16, 2007


Here we are in solid domestic settings with student's papers on my side. The space in the room is filled by the sounds of the newest Arcade Fire record. I have to pay tribute to the quality of their work. So solidly written and executed. I think it is an instant classic. Even as their older albums show corkyness and vibrant interpretation of new music, this one feels more serious and instantly recognizable as both new, but also as part of a longer tradition of good rock.

Beyond the history of rock I have been riling myself with American politics and the submission of every single democratic candidate to the dictates of AIPAC conformity. The spinelesness of American politicians in the face of lobbying linked to the newest of Crusader states is simply pathetic. In my optimistic days I feel that a candidate who would have the "orbs" to state the truth and stand as a friend of the State of David in favor of just peace and 1967 borders would be able to dominate the debate. In fact a candidate with such a position would be able to open a debate and get all the support that the cowed academics and media critics are unwilling to express for as long as this would mean being alone in taking the dangerous position. While I respect research on the power of the AIPAC and the rest of the groups like AIPAC I do not share the conspiracy-like fatalism that goes with this assumption. I do not believe that there is no way to break the grip that AIPAC has on the US discourse. Carter's book and the recent academic memo on the power of this lobby has shown that the time is ripe for the debate. One can no longer fear the politics of smear. Dirt will only stick on the weak. If GWB has taught us one thing is that commitment to one opinion without wavering pays up. Then again, this is my assessment on a good day, when I do feel optimistic about the state of the US political discourse.

No comments: