Saturday, January 13, 2007


Lazy. this is the only possible description of my blogging status. Too many things to do, or more to the point, too much good time to be had doing all those things. A discussion recently in a venerable forum, regarding the (de)merits of owning a sailing boat has brought to my mind a tiny issue of terminology that cropped up the other day as I was sipping expensive Belgian beer at Stella's in very good company. The term is alterno-yuppie. Like anything with the term alterno in it it indicates that it deviates from the mainstream. In our parlance mainstream means bad. It always has to be a tributary for us to be satisfied. Yet the term alterno, cannot hide the fact that yuppie is there to be dealt with. In our case, as 4 eyes were scouring the crowd at Stella's it became clear that we were approving of the clientele even as we were ready to characterise it as yuppyish. Hence the term alterno, added as a kosher blessing on Oreo cookies. As long as something is alterno it cannot be all that bad. Which of course means that as long as we baptise it alterno, it can even be pork, and we are still righteous. Which takes us back to the discussion of the (de)merits of owning a boat. Are my friends all alterno-yuppies? The income is there, the lifestyle is kind of alterno-yuppyish, and of course, they are my friends so I need to baptise them into a Kosher form of existence. And ultimately, if my friends are a-yuppies, what am I, an a-yuppie groupie? We may need to work more on those definitions

No comments: