Saturday, January 06, 2007


So I saw this film. Sodeberg film with George "ER stud" and Kate "Elizabeth girl." I was ipressed. The filming was totally convinving. Unlike the pretentious black and white filming of Spielberg's Schindler's list, this was a real return to old Holywood with all the cinematic realities that this is associated with. Camera working in the same way, cuts into scenes similar and the acting more or less fitting in these patterns. Acting, which especially in the case of Blanchet was impressive to say the least. I also liked the story. Its treatment of the moral dilemas associated with survival, with all the necessary treason and collapse of essential ethical rules is solid even as it comes part and parcel with a police story and a seedy romance. Overall I liked all the Casablanca echoes and appreciated the greater depth of inquiry in human nature, even as I ejoyed the simple but well presented detective story. Enough film criticism for now.

No comments: