Monday, October 23, 2006

The expectations game, the cynic and the romantic:

In every moment in our existence an action creates expectations of a reaction. A synthesis of this action and reaction leads to a state of existence, which itself is not static but rather creates expectations of further moments as well as further actions and reactions that lead from that one moment to the other. In fact, one could argue that for a whole series of action/reaction combinations, the creation of expectations that lead to projections regarding the future, which themselves end up defining the evolution of the set of actions and reactions that follow, becomes inevitable. It takes a particular kind of mental outlook to live those action/reaction scenaria focusing solely on their immediate outcomes and avoiding contemplations of the future. My own reason tells me that the short term view may actually be beneficial for my management of the said situations. My own mental temperament wants to order the world for the aeons to come. Reason and temperament therefore clash and I wonder what the result will be. By reason I am a cynic, by temperament a romantic. For the moment, as I leave those two elements to fight it out and decide, I assure myself with my basic desire to seize the day.

No comments: