Monday, October 09, 2006


My neighbor on my left hand side (me looking North) is an old Chinese woman. She lives in a house by herself. The house itself is not in very good shape though at least her lawn is properly watered almost everyday. In any case the old lady with her long grey hair is a model "independent dialoguer." She stand on her porch, cheing on a piece of apple and talks, she walks and talks, she cleans her backyard and talks. And on each one of those occasions she has no interlocutor. And yet the talk is continuous, a stream of thoughts and ideas, all in chinese, which seems to be unaffected by her environment. Moreover, there is a change of coloration in her speach that at times confuses me as it makes me feel she is indeed addressing someone. This woman is engaged in a dialogue with another, invisible, man/woman. A dead husband, a sister still stuck in China or something. Someone she misses maybe. Then again it maybe that she replays all those lost opportunities for standing up to someone and giving them the hell they deserve, the dress down their horrid behavior so deservedly won. Maybe it is anger she is chaneling to the world. In any case she is an odd spectacle. And I am in my house, taking a break from my lecture-writing wishing to find an opportunity to take a picture of her without being seen. Maybe if she notices I will become one of her future interlocutors. The long haired barbarian who insolently tried to steal her image. I went to capture her image and only her voice was left as she had moved into her kitchen. Hence the empty porch... you hear he chatter?

No comments: