Tuesday, November 07, 2006


Election day. It is strange to even say that, while sitting on the other side of the fence without the right to vote. Not that I am claiming it. Nevertheless it feels as if I am part of this process even as I stand excluded from it. It is really ironic what one ends up wishing. Pure spite and instinctual hatred of the posse rulling the country right now makes me wish to join the Democrats in celebration of some sort of victory. Yet, realistically, what can I expect from a compromised party fielding veterans as candidates? Who was the genious who thought that the way to change a militaristic approach to politics was to run a campaign on macho presence and military salutes? I do not expect Democrats to scale down military spending, in fact they promised to increase the size of the army. I do not even expect them to cut expennsive pet projects like the F-22, for these things are already too well established for spineless politicians to attack. I only expect them to project a more humane, less arrogant form of violence. A more tempered imperialism, one which combined with their diminishing world role may eventually lead to the end of American empire in a less than cataclysmic manner. For if we leave things to republicans, the eventual implosion will be potentially lethal.

Anyways, other than that, state of happiness. State of general exuberance and of course state of stress. You cant have a good thing without fearing you will lose it to all those factors out there that are conspiring against continuity. Still day by day, week by week one may hope to create safety around comfort (ooops this sounded like an American political slogan). I need to do a final edit of my lecture before I leave. So I will post this and be on my way. Have a good day, whether you are heading to the überlab, a Romanian environment-shredding factory, a Greek computer-software company or the world's headquarters of money-grabbing and money-creation. Cheers to all.

No comments: