Sunday, November 12, 2006


On a plane to LA. Reading a book on the history of Southeastern Europe from 500 to 1250. It is good so far. I am also chatting with the people next to me, and considering falling asleep. It should not be too difficult. The conference is over and I had a very good time. I also had very good feedback on the paper. It was even used (I was not there) to make a broader comment regarding Byzantine Studies inner politics. So I guess I like being part of the broader discourse. Now I need to research it a bit more and try and publish it. I think it will be my project for the next month or so. It is a good way to go back to research. The people have spoken, they are positive about it, so I need to just write it. It should not be too dramatically difficult.

The social dynamics at the conference were pleasant. I ended up chatting with a bunch of friends and making some good connections with people I will be happy to meet again. As for St. Louis, well I know it only slightly better now than last time I was here with Frixos. I went up the arch and saw the kitschy cathedral dedicated to St. Louis. I saw little else. The company was good though. The Michigan crowd gave what I think were pretty good papers. In fact it is possible to say that Michigan is establishing a pattern that wants good rhetorical skills as part of our conference performance. I like that.

I feel that the trip to the US had one negative aspect in it. The food. I felt that the moment I moved to the states the quality of food collapsed. This is unfair to the states yet, the conference food was horrific and so was whatever else I ate in town. Admittedly we did not sample the best of St. Louis, yet the symbolism is potent. Cross the border and things will suck. I think I need to go out for dinner tonight once back home. I am still in a plane. Now I just need to switch the lap top off and simply sleep. Off I go.

So, I am evidently safe at home after a log day. More tomorrow. Tomorrow has come and I have this picture I just discovered thanks to a friend to add to this posting. It should go to a new day posting yet I am happy to let it trail after the American Experience. After all the americans invented the internet did they not?

No comments: