Monday, November 20, 2006


Sunday is nearing to an end. A weekend of back-pain is also about to come to a close and it does not seem as if things are going to be much better tomorrow. I have a cat by my side, some ungraded papers in front of me and another three hours to bed-time. I have a craving for the lemon-flavoured cake on the counter of the kitchen. I should control myself. I ate well tonight, leftovers.

Check out this article in the Michigan Daily:

http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/
paper851/news/2006/11/16/TheBSide/
HowTo.Extra.Credit-2463978.shtml?sourcedomain
=www.michigandaily.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

Hilarious take on Graduate Student Instructor (T.A.) - Stundent relations. All agency on the students mind you.


It seems that my students have a problem with parsing categories. For them there is only absolutes. If you are heavy handed you are a tyrant. If a tyrant you cannot be a reformer. If a reformer, you must be honest, dishonest men cannot reform anything. It is amazing how much we live in a world of absolutes for all the effort of the postmodernists to demolish and deconstruct our certainties. Sometimes I wish they would just be relativists of the worse poststructuralist vain. But no, to them things are clear as pre-mudslides Vancouver water. What is it that leads to this poverty of thought. How is it that this straight-shooting approach to reading and writing ultimately produces unclear papers with no point at all? What are they doing in high-schools? How are those kids being wired. But also what are popular culture, TV, billboards, telemarketers and "BEST BUY" Christmas brochures doing to my students' brains?

And talking about shopping, I really want that new MacBook. I think early december I am getting it. Enough for now. Time to do something else.

No comments: