Wednesday, November 01, 2006


Just came back from watching "Death of a President." An odd film. For all that I see what it is trying to do, I am not sure I enjoyed it that much. Even as a documentary (a fake one) it was almost too cheesy. Of course it can be argued that it is the cheesiness that conveys the message. Yet, what is the message after all? That responses to terrorism are dangerous, that the state finds its victims and ignores reality? Is it a questioning of the right to resistence or the forms of resistence? Is it even a critique on the medium itself of the media and of their way of depicting events? Can we say that the choice of mocumentary in itself is a mean to study the creation of reality? I do not know. The fact that those questions emerge attests to the success of the film on some level. The fact that I left with a feeling of so what, despite the questions is proof of problems in the attempt. As for the pretty Minoan ladies, they are there simply because I like them, they did not have a part in the film.

No comments: